Our Healing God

By Fran Bradford

In September 1996 I was stricken with sever low back pain. I had experienced this pain off and on for twenty five years, but it always went away within a couple of weeks. This time the pain never left me. Over the next fourteen months I saw four surgeons for evaluation and all four said the same - "you need a spinal fusion." During these many months, my church body, along with our Bible study group and other local churches prayed continuously for me. I was anointed with oil and hands laid on many times. I always felt that God would heal me, believing for a miraculous healing.

In September 1997, the pain was beginning to overtake me, but my faith never wavered. I decided to take the advise of the surgeon, believing that God would work through his hands, and surgery was scheduled for November 1997. I continued to believe my "miracle" would come, even though plans were being made for surgery.

Ken Ervin, the pastor of Harris Chapel United Methodist Church, advised me, "to spend time with the Lord and really seek Him for you healing." I left my family for 48 hours so I could spend time alone with the Lord. I read, meditated, and prayed every healing scripture in the Bible during this time, especially James 5:14-17 - Are any among you sick? They should call for the elders of the church and have them pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord. The prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise them up; and anyone who has committed sins will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective.

Two days before the surgery, I was very nervous and decided that I should go and pray for my surgeon. Before I could say anything to him, he told me that he was a Christian, and the Lord would be with us. I was immediately flooded with peace.

On the morning of my surgery, my pastor, my husband, and I prayed boldly, asking God to bring me through this surgery pain free. The last thought I had before being put to sleep was Lord, I trust you.

The next morning, I awoke pain free and refused any further pain medication. I ate three meals and walked the hallways three times and was released the next morning. I had been told to expect to stay in the hospital six or seven days, and that I would experience numbness and pain. I experienced no pain or numbness in my back, hips, or legs. I arrived back in Tullahoma in time to stop by our church to rejoice with the believers. I realize now that God walked through the fire with me, and I was not burned. I feel I was given a powerful testimony to share with others. If I had received a miraculous healing, some would not believe. Every time I hear the chorus, "I am the God who healeth thee," I am overwhelmed and flooded with joy. I thank my God every day for my healing and the prayers that were said for me. Praise the Lord!